ATSIS Unit welcomes new students and staff in 2019.

13 February 2019

The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit welcomes over 100 new Indigenous students for 2019.

Professor Bronwyn Fredericks, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Engagement) said, “It’s such an exciting time on campus in January – there is a great buzz of energy and enthusiasm, and our teams are busily preparing for the year ahead. It’s particularly exciting to be finalising places for our incoming students. To those Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who have accepted an offer at UQ for 2019, we welcome you to our community and hope you are as excited as we are.

The staff at the ATSIS Unit are preparing to meet and greet the students who are studying in many disciplines. Director of the ATSIS Unit, Mr Shane Drahm says the team is ready for another exciting year and we have a full complement of staff to meet the needs of the new and current students.

The ATSIS Unit also welcomes Dr Anita Heiss as a Professor of Communication.

The Wiradjuri woman, who is a prolific writer of non-fiction, historical fiction, children’s literature and poetry started in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit last week. Professor Heiss’s appointment will be held jointly between the ATSIS Unit and the School of Communication and Arts.

Professor Heiss said her passion lay in the sharing of knowledge and understanding of contemporary Aboriginal life in Australia.

“I am thrilled to accept the role of Professor of Communication at UQ,” Professor Heiss said.

“I look forward to living out my great passions in teaching creative writing, mentoring students and developing the BlackWords research community.

“I am keen to form new partnerships in the philanthropic space and cultural exchanges for the creatives of UQ.”

Professor Heiss was a guest at the recent launch of UQ’s inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).

“It was fantastic to be a part of this historic moment and I look forward to the contribution that I will be making to UQ’s commitment toward inclusiveness and consideration of its first peoples.

“I’m proud to be able to assist and further the goals of the UQ RAP.

“I can’t wait to get started!”

Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Engagement) Professor Bronwyn Fredericks said Professor Heiss’s appointment had been highly anticipated.

“This appointment will further cement a growing focus on meaningful and beneficial relationships between all communities at UQ – and beyond,” Professor Fredericks said.

“Personally, I’m thrilled to have such a role model, ambassador and knowledgeable advocate among our staff.

“All of us at The University of Queensland extend a very warm welcome to Professor Heiss and we look forward to working with her in her new role.”

(source UQ News)

Dr Anita Heiss, Professor of Communication.