New staff at ATSIS Unit

18 October 2017

The University of Queensland’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit is pleased to welcome two new staff members to the team.

Donald Johannessen has joined as the Communications Coordinator and has vast experience in State and Federal governments and multi-media production.

Donald has a Bachelor of Communications (Screen Production and Journalism) from Griffith University, and has produced and directed content for National Indigenous Television, Fox Sports, ABC and the Australian Network which acquired the 3 part documentary series of the Indigenous Cricket Tour of India. The series was screened in 46 countries and 6 languages. 

“University life can be stressful, and I hope in my new role I can assist with information for students and build the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit brand within the Campus and to a wider audience”, said Donald.

Rachel Crawford joins the Unit as the Manager for Student Services and comes with many years of experience to the role.

She is a proud Koori woman from country New South Wales, both from Kamilaroi and Dgungatti Mobs.

Working to advance indigenous education, Rachel has over 19 years of experience in Indigenous education programs including her own alternative education journey.

Commencing Law/Psych at ANU, Qualified as a Vocational Trainer, taught indigenous students an alternative schools program, working for the Federal Department of Education, Science and Technology, to studying at Melbourne Business School completing the MURRA Masters Program and now enrolling in the UQ Masters of Business Program.

Rachel is honoured to be taking over as the Students Support Manager of the Indigenous Studies Unit at The University of Queensland.

"I’m so excited to be heading up a team that supports such high performing Indigenous students", she said.

"Working here I see the Unit as a conduit between Indigenous students and the academic world of university.

"The path at UQ was laid down for us by others, who forged this path before us, and so it is with great honour that I accept that torch handed to me so I can hold open the door for others," she added.